New Location Targeting
Note: To ensure a smooth transition to our new location taxonomy, you will see many prompts to guide you as you add and edit location targeting rules and location sets.
We have updated our location targeting taxonomy to offer additional locations to target, as well as more granularity that includes secondary regions (for locations outside of North America) in addition to primary regions, countries, and cities. See the list below for more information about how these changes will impact your tactics.
- All active tactics will continue to bid as usual. However, we recommend re-targeted locations using the new taxonomy.
- Hyperlocal targets, ZIP/postal codes, and DMA codes are not affected by these changes.
- Some locations may not exist anymore due to these updates and will be unavailable for bidding.
- The locations will be labeled as hidden or unavailable:
- Hidden locations are targeted during bidding but will become unavailable when they are removed.
- Unavailable locations are not targeted during bidding.
- If you want to edit a tactic that uses the old location targeting taxonomy, you will have to re-select all locations using the new taxonomy.
- Tactics cannot target both legacy and new locations at the same time. If you want to add new locations to a tactic that already has location targets, you must remove all of the old locations first and only use the new location taxonomy.
- Due to this restriction, when you bulk edit locations, you can only include tactics with legacy location targeting if you choose to bulk replace the tactics' locations. You cannot bulk add locations to tactics that have legacy locations.
- You can copy and paste a tactic that includes legacy location targeting. As with all other tactics, you must remove the legacy locations if you want to edit the tactic's location targeting.
- If you choose to edit the tactic before pasting, the location targets will not carry over, and you will have to add targets using the new taxonomy if needed.
- If you create a new tactic from a tactic template that uses legacy location targeting, the new tactic will not include any location targets. You must add locations using the new taxonomy.
- Location sets that contain legacy locations cannot be added to new tactics. You must recreate old sets using the new taxonomy.
- Scheduled geo reports will continue to generate reports as expected. However, the Region field will be replaced by Primary Region and Secondary Region in reports with a start date after April 1, 2020.