Viewability lets you know how many of the impressions your tactic won were viewable (appeared on the screen). Page position targeting lets you choose where your ad can appear on the screen.
How it Works
Viewability information appears in your tactic delivery/performance reports, and you can manually optimize for domains, placements, and exchanges that are meeting your viewability goals.
When your tactic measures viewability, you'll have access to these metrics, displayed along with the other tactic statistics and domain statistics:
Total eligible impressions: impressions against which the DSP can measure viewability.
Currently only desktop web and mobile web can be eligible impressions. We cannot measure viewability on video or mobile app impressions.
If your tactic wins 1000 impressions, the eligible impressions must be equal to or less than 1000.
Total measured impressions: impressions which Pixalate's script was able to determine if they were viewable or not.
If your tactic has 500 eligible impressions and 5 of those could not be determined, the total measured impressions would be 495.
Total viewable impressions: impressions which the script was able to deem viewable.
If your tactic has 495 measured impressions and 85 of them were not viewable, the tactic has 410 viewable impressions.
Measured rate: (total measured impressions / total eligible impressions), as a percentage.
If the tactic has 495 total measured impressions and 500 eligible impressions, the measured rate is 495/500 = 99%.
Viewable rate: (total viewable impressions / total measured impressions), as a percentage.
If the tactic has 410 total viewable impressions and 500 measured impressions, the measured rate is 410/495 = 82.83%.
Eligible spend: total spend on eligible impressions (DSP Optimize view)
Eligible vCPM: (total spend for all eligible impressions * 1000 / total viewable impressions) eligible spend per thousand viewable impressions (DSP Optimize view)
- Viewability can be used with or without pre-bid viewability solutions through other data partners.
- Viewability is only measured for display inventory (desktop and mobile).
- Viewability for video inventory is not available at the moment.
- Currently, viewability for native ads is only available with TripleLift and only if you created the ad within Basis DSP. For native ads generated by TripleLift Creative Wizard, we cannot provide any viewability metrics because you upload the ads in Basis DSP as display tags. However, you would still be charged the CPM fee if you try to track viewability for these types of ads.
- If you use machine learning to optimize for viewability goals, viewability automatically turns on, and you cannot disable it. See Optimization for more information.
The delivery/performance report includes viewability data for all tactics in the report, including these metrics:
- Total Eligible Impressions
- Total Measured Impressions
- Total Viewable Impressions
- Measured Rate
- Viewable Rate
Control where on the page—above or below the fold—your ad appears.
Many impressions do not specify a page position, so disabling Unknown impressions could severely limit the number of available impressions.